Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Opinions, please.

So Nate and I have been trying to decide what to do with the baby's room.  Thankfully we both lean away from really frilly girly themes (too much pink and butterflies) and extremely boyish themes (sports and airplane themes.)  So when it comes to not knowing what we are having it works out just perfectly.  Initially we were considering waiting until the baby gets here.  But we've realized that we tend to lean towards more gender neutral themes.  So here is the question.  Are these options too blue to be used if the baby ends up being a girl (I found them under the "gender neutral" tabs online, but I wasn't sure)?  And if so which one do you like more?

Love the bird theme, but this one is a little more spendy.


I love this one too, but especially because I was thinking of doing something similar to this for the walls:


My third option is actually my original plan.  A friend of ours gave us some adorable Carter's receiving blankets with little giraffes, hippos, frogs, etc. on them that kind of inspired us.  Nate and I had/bought/were given the most adorable stuffed animals (giraffe, elephant, frog, etc.)  And so we thought about doing a zoo type theme.  The problem is that every crib set we found took the theme WAY too far for our taste (we like things more subtle and simple.)  So Rita and I did some fabric shopping and I found these.


I'm hoping to be able to find some subtle matching fabric with little zoo animals that I can use in the quilt pattern below, along with the fabric I already have.


I'd make the quilt, dust ruffle, and window valance; and then get really creative and make some sort of wall art (I love that kind of stuff!) and a matching lamp shade, etc.  I was also able to find some matching sheets and a bumper pad so I wouldn't have to make them.  Please help me decide....

And finally some fun things I've made recently to keep myself busy...

11 comments:

Tiffany Fackrell said...

to be honest my favorite is the first one. I think it would be adorable for a boy or a girl!!!

also I agree that the zoo theme is cute and things you can buy go overboard. i wanted to do that in my little guys room and I was having a hard time being bombarded by too much zoo animals. then I found a bedding set at Ross that was PERFECT the sheet had animals and then the ruffle and the bumper were striped and in the perfect colors, since we had already painted his room green. the little quilt that came with it also had the animals so i hung that on the wall. and it is now the perfect little zoo room with not an overwhelming amount of animals. plus they are the cute giraffes and elephants in a soft color and just the simple designs of the animals. I LOVE IT!!!

Rita said...

I love the Baby Shoofly quilt pattern. I also love the polkadots of picture #2...You could do the shoofly quilt in the palette of #2 (even keeping the peachy color and the golds because they can be brought out in an animal accent somewhere in the room--just going heavier with the blues and greens) and they would go together. I think the dots/blue/green of #2 would set a "neutral" background for your animal and your quilt...whatever you two decide, I know it will be really cute. (Side-note: I love blues for little girls, so to me, blue is gender-neutral!)

The Singer Family said...

I'm all for your original plan. The 1st two are super cute but I think they look more boyish. They would work with just a bit of girly something which you could totally do. Who am I to talk colors though, Mary's curtains/quilt/bumpers were blue and white stripes with little yellow daisies. Now that I'm to girl #3, my likes have changed and the room is SOOOO girly pink; both girl bedrooms are pink and floral.

Wendy said...

Dan and I vote for the bird theme.

Unknown said...

I also vote for the bird theme! I think the first option is adorable!

Jarom and Melissa said...

I like the first one. It seems gender neutral and simple and elegant. I understand that a lot of crib sets/nursery designs are taken too far, so I found a set that we could piece together (take the pieces we want) and then I got star and moon lights and made other accents and hung pictures myself. I just kind of took the theme into my own hands so it wasn't too much. Good luck on finding some fun nursery items.
-- Melissa

*MICHELLE CAUDLE* said...

A lot of baby bedding is too cheezy. I love the idea of a zoo room but keeping it very simple. I'm thinking that you and I must stalk the same crafty blogs...I made some of those singed flower clips the other day...and I have fabric for the Buttercup Bag but just haven't got around to making it yet!

Carolyn said...

So....I'm the minority, but I love the fishy theme. It is super cute. And I love the wall art idea. I also love the zoo idea though and making your own theme. Good work!

Jaime said...

I like both sets pictured, so I'm not much help. All I can say is, I made lots of the things for our sons rooms, and it made me feel great to contribute that way. We did a simple dark brown & baby blue theme and that was before it was all the rage, so I had to make everything if I wanted it to match. Good luck with making the deicisions. One thing I can say for sure is that either of these sets would work for a boy or a girl. Also, making a crib sheet is simple, and I have made several because they are so much cheaper. All it takes it 2 yards of fabric, and 1/4 inch elastic, and it's simple. If you need a pattern number I can get you one. :)

Mike and Lisa said...

I had the same problem looking for a set when I was pregnant. Nothing looked good to me and I really, really didn't want a busy "theme" or "characters". I must say I LOVE LOVE the bird one. It is soooo cute and is gender neutral. I remember looking at the fish one when I was pregnant, and its adorable but it wasn't gender neutral enough for me. I ended up going with a very simple design that has circles and dots. So if I can find some thing to suit my picky self, don't give up until you find exactly what you want, babies are too expensive to just "settle" because you're going to want to still love it when you have #2!

Jacklyn said...

I think that it is all cute but if you want my opinion (you totally do right?) I would wait until the baby is born cause gender neutral always sounds good but once you have a boy or girl I'm sure you will lean one way or the other more. I bought a bunch of yellow and neutral stuff with Luke (I didn't know what he was) and I ended up not using any of it. That being said I am obsessed with pink so I had to have a super girly room. So I think that the first one is a bit too blue. I like apple green though and you could add pink or blue accents after. Or go for a pink fairy room hahaha good luck and whatever you do will be amazing?