Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Maternity Clothes

Okay, okay... so I know that EVERY post is now about being pregnant, but at the moment that is all that's going on in my sad little boring and pathetic life.  I do apologize.

So my last appointment I got to meet my new doctor for the first time and she seemed nice enough (still struggling with my weird old-fashioned brain that for some reason wants a male doctor).  Well my previous appointment was to sit down with the nurse and fill out pages and pages of paperwork.  One of those pages was a "Rate Your Stress" worksheet.  I had to rate on a scale of 1 to 5 my stress caused by work, family, money, etc.

So when I talked with my doctor this last appointment she said that she had noticed looking through my paperwork that I was extremely stressed about money.  She asked if this would get better or if things would be changing anytime soon.  I pointed out that we had just moved (costing a lot of money) and that we were obviously having to plan for the baby (costing even more money) and then there was supporting the baby when it's here (even more).  She said, "Well, I can understand the moving part, but really baby doesn't cost that much."  I nearly laughed.  "Is this lady crazy?" I thought.  I've come to a conclusion.  Either, one, she has never had a child.  Or, two, being a doctor pays so well that she must not even understand how much the cost of a child can burden the average family.

Nate and I have been more than grateful to accept anything second hand for this baby... and yet with every week comes more expenses.  My doctor must be outta her mind.  Just today I went maternity clothes shopping (unfortunately haven't received anything second-hand here and I've finally reached that point where I can no longer be comfortable rubberbanding my pre-pregnancy jeans) and just for the basics (3 jeans, 2 nice pants, 1 pair of capris, 2 tanks, and 4 tops) it set me back almost $400.  And you know if I'm stressed out Nate must be DYING....  I pray for the poor guy everyday...

6 comments:

Chad and Jaycie said...

It will all work out - trust me. And if you were fatter I would have given my clothes to you. Even my regular clothes would be too big for you nine months pregnant!

Jaime said...

Time to start hitting consignment sales my friend. I'll email you some links to some great sales. one is fantastic, it's up in my neighborhood on the 10th I think. If you feel like coming up this direction. Also, Motherhood Maternity & JcPenney have great maternity clothes, and they usually have really good deals.

Oh, and kids are expensive, your doctor probably smoked a little too much pot before she met with you. ;)

The Singer Family said...

If I would have known you had no hand me downs I would have started checking clearance racks for you. Kohls has nice maternity and great clearance--until I knew I was done having kids, I would always check out maternity clearance to get super duper cheap stuff.

Good luck girl...and maybe your doctor meant that having a 2nd or 3rd child doesn't cost that much. By that point you have most everything you need. At least now you'll be looking stylish! :)

Brittney said...

you could try ross. they have maternity stuff that's cheaper.

The Mechams said...

Oh don't worry you don't notice that you don't have enough money for the kids, you just realize you never get to spend money on yourself again with out guilt. thats all. Good luck mommy. You are doing great.

Jarom and Melissa said...

Your doctor is a little off. Babies (or more specifically, children) do cost money. Thrift stores for baby stuff are great. So are garage sales (when the time of the year is right). Bryson doesn't know he's wearing second hand stuff or that his old baby bath was bleached three or four times before he used it because it was a great deal at a thrift store. A lot of the stores also carry cute maternity clothes for a fraction of the cost (and most aren't worn for more than a few months and are still in great condition). Target also has some great maternity and baby clearance stuff. You can also sign up for Pampers.com and things like that to get some free samples, and when you register at Target and Babies R Us, you also get some free stuff (like bottles and coupons) that help. We started picking up something for the baby every time we went to the store, so it didn't hit us so hard all at once. But I know it's stressful. Good luck with the purchasing of everything. I know that Heavenly Father will bless you.