Saturday, July 4, 2009

My Home, Sweet Home


The Fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays.  It's not so much the fireworks, but I love barbecuing, playing with sparklers and snap dragons, and, most of all, spending time with family.  Last year Nate and I spent it together and we had such a blast that when I considered visiting my family (I still love you guys!) staying here actually sounded like more fun.  (Plus we already travelled this week to Portland to check out the Recent Graduates Show at the Blackfish Gallery and were not looking forward to anymore traveling.  You can see some of my work at http://www.blackfish.com/Artist-Detail.cfm?ArtistsID=41)  

We started out the night grilling some pizza on our BBQ.  It was so good... and I ate too much.  You should try it.  Prepare your usual pizza crust.  Roll out in manageable sizes and grill on the first side for 2 minutes, flip, quickly apply your toppings (we did Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, corn, black beans, spinach and cheddar cheese, but you can do anything), cover and grill another 2 minutes or until bottom of crust is golden.  Finally, top with cilantro.

A picture of Nate and I since I can't remember the last time we were in a picture together.
And finally, after sparklers, we ended the night sitting outside our apartment in our camping chairs watching the fireworks and eating chocolate mousse for dessert.  

I couldn't help but think about how lucky I am to have the freedoms I do.  I'd just like to thank all those who serve for our country and all those who stand up for what they believe.  God bless America!

3 comments:

Brittney said...

Super fun! We were just up the street at the church watching the show.

Rita said...

Congratulations on your art show! The sparklers look fun! Pizza looks great! Can't wait for you to come visit! Want to grill pizza Saturday night?

Jaime said...

I love your post. Sounds like a perfectly wonderful way to spend the holiday. The pizza looks yummy.

Why didn't you tell me you were going to be in Portland? I would have loved to see the exhibit & you too of course.