Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Four Awesome Years

Today is Nate and my fourth year anniversary. I don't really have the time to do this so I will keep it short. The first time that Nate and I met I was at ward prayer at BYU and I mentioned that I was thirsty. Nate's roommate Bart told me that he had some really good juice in his apartment and if I wanted some I could have some. He said, "It's unlocked... feel free to walk right in." So I ran down the hall to their apartment and let myself in... only to barge in on Nate and his then (crazy) girlfriend kissing. I managed to blurt out some sort of apology, quickly grabbed myself a drink and got out of there as fast as I could.

For the longest time afterward Nate was the "Apt #6 roommate with a girlfriend" and I NEVER saw him even though I hung out in his apartment all the time.

Then fate stepped in and both Nate and I found ourselves single at the same time. I had just broken up with my first boyfriend (and was a little broken up about it) and was very apprehensive to start something with anyone else. Nate, on the other hand, was trying his best to stay broken up with his girlfriend, as she was desperate to work things out.

We started playing hockey together with a huge group of friends and would flirt with each other mercilessly. And then I started dating someone new... not Nate, instead "Naked Dave" (don't ask) but don't worry, it ended fast and Nate was actually the one to help me devise a plan to end that abusive relationship (okay, so he wasn't really abusive... but I did end up with some bruises and a fat lip... Long story...) So I was single again with only a few weeks left before summer break and that's when Nate finally decided to make his move. The next few weeks were perfect. I loved hanging out with this guy. He was funny, confident, and cool. He brought me flowers more often than not and bought a BYU charm that I was really wanting for my bracelet, but was too poor to buy myself (it was really overpriced). He left me the sweetest notes... He loved snuggling as much, if not more, than I did.

Halloween 2004:  Nate was so repulsive I had a hard time kissing him.

Hiking 2004:  Notice the gut hanging out... I was so rebellious.
Not long after, I left Provo (on 3 hours of sleep thanks to him) and spent the rest of the summer waiting for his letters and emails. We MSN messengered almost every night (which included me laughing out loud the ENTIRE time) and then Nate came up to Moses Lake to visit for the 4th of July, where we kissed for the first time.

When I returned to Provo we continued dating... constantly having a blast between hikes, playing hockey and rollerblading the Provo River Trail... good times. In December we had our first fight. Nate thought we were going to break up... that thought never crossed my mind. We made up the next day. (Neither one of us like confrontation or being angry with each other and still to this day we make up within an hour.)

On March 10th, Nate took me on a hike and when I reached the top I was surprised to find a rose for everyday that we had been dating (I'm horrible at remembering numbers and I didn't want to do the math.) He proposed and, of course, I said yes.

Engagement Photo
We got married on July 22, 2005 in the Columbia River Temple. It seriously was the most perfect day.



I just want to let Nate know that I love him so much. He's perfect for me in every way. Where I'm weak, he's strong. He pushes me to be my best and is always so helpful and encouraging. I don't know what I'd do without you, babe. Happy anniversary!

6 comments:

Mike and Lisa said...

What a cute post! I love reading about other peoples love stories! Happy anniversary to you both!

Jaime said...

Happy Anniversary you guys!

The Singer Family said...

Hope that it was a great day! I would have emailed yesterday but we were in Nauvoo! I was thinking of you though and remembering the fun trip out there for it all!

Brittney said...

Aww happy anniversary guys!

Whodathunked! said...

Happy Anniversary! I forget that Brittney had so many funny/bizarre dating stories. I'm sad that I was not mentioned in your blog. What's up with that?!? I was a part of that story too...the three hrs of sleep and then driving home to Moses. Good times.
So I'd love to hear more stories about this crazy ex.... Speaking of which, I have a story for you. :)

Amy J said...

What a great tribute to your love! You are right, Nate is PERFECT for you! The trip in May proved that to me. I guess I didn't realize how long you guys dated- that must have been A LOT of roses! I think you guys dated longer than any of us. And you were rebellious. Glad that Nate straightened you out. J/K We are glad that Nate is a part of the family. He was a great addition and I am glad that you are so happy. hugs.