Friday, March 20, 2009

My Dream Job

I'm sick (the whole fever, headache, coughing bit) and therefore have nothing better to do than blog!  It's been awhile.  Nate's sick, too, and as always, he got it worse that I did.  He took yesterday off though and so he feels like he'd better work today.  It's always a challenge to convince him that he should stay home, that no one wants to be around him and chance getting sick, too.

So last night was the opening of a show that some of my work is in down town, at the Satellite Gallery.  (Pictures will come soon.  I forgot my camera, but had friends take some pictures.)  Everyone's work was really amazing.  It was fun, despite the fact that Nate and I kept having to go outside because with our fevers we were dying inside... it was so hot.  It was great standing by my work and just listening to what people had to say about it, not knowing that I was the artist.  My favorite was, "I'm still trying to figure it out."  It was nice that there were people who were interested in content and not just whether they liked it or not.

Afterwards we tried out a new restaurant in town that everyone was raving about "The Ale House" and it was... disappointing.  These poor people that have never had good restaurant food in their lives... or should I be sorry for us that we will never be satisfied with average food?  But overall a very fun night... gave me an excuse to get all dolled up, which rarely ever happens.

The purpose of this post was actually to share about a website I found online while shopping for retro-inspired dresses.  I am a huge fan of fashion and would be totally fashion forward where it not for the fact that we are both college students at the moment (and to top it off... me being an art student of all things).  But fashion is something that I've always loved.  And recently I have realized that I would love to be a clothing/shoe designer.  I seriously think that I could do it.  I really want to learn how to create a pattern and design clothing using one of those seamstress mannequins like they do on Project Runway (one of my favorite shows).  That way instead of having to search and search for a modest dress (they don't exist) I could just make one!  

So I stumbled on this website that sells vintage dresses.  Why is it that they don't make dresses like this anymore? I swear I was born in the wrong era.  My plan (when I have time) is to buy a seamstress mannequin, learn to use it and then create vintage-inspired dresses.  (I can't exactly "make" shoes... so this is the next best thing.)

These are some of my favorite vintage dresses from vintageous.com:


 Not only is the color hot, but I love all the delicate little ruffles... they remind me of the 3rd grade making crepe paper flowers.


I absolutely adore the appliqué and the color is one of my favorites. 


So chic and clean.


I'm a huge fan of lace overlay, especially the black lace over the ivory.. stunning.


Love the color (hot pink can sometimes be to much, but this watermelon color works) and the diagonal lines.


Simple and clean.  Love the lace overlay at the shoulders.


This one really reminds me of my red bathing suit.  I adore the ruching!  Talk about old Hollywood glamour.


The "leafy" bodice is ah-mazing.


I'm digging the lace and the diagonal design of the skirt.


So I'm not usually a fan of the asymmetrical, but this dress is stunning.  Probably in my top three.


Those pockets are so beautiful.

6 comments:

Brittney said...

britt you would rock the fashion worlds socks off.

The Singer Family said...

I guess since we've got your names for christmas, i should start shopping for a mannequin. ;) Glad the art show went well, wish we were closer and could have gone. :)

Rita said...

Why didn't you tell me before I threw away most of my old fasion magazines--Seventeen from the fifties, etc. Have a few, though. Also, threw away many old, old patterns. Do have my mom's black crepe evening gown with a hood from the early 1940's. I'll show it to you when you come next time. Have you seen my hat collection that goes back to the 30's?
Can't wai to see exhibit pics. Can't wait to see your campus exhibit next month :)

Unknown said...

I have also gotten really into vintage clothing. I have found affordable vintage items on etsy.com. Though I haven't been brave enough yet to actually purchase anything. In some of the etsy shops you can also find really great vintage shoes. Check THESE out (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21779760).

Jacklyn said...

seriously wouldn't you love to have a place to go to wear a fabulous dress like these. Like our grandparents went to dances all the time and got all dolled up, I am so jealous. I am also obsessed with the old hats, wouldn't you love to wear one of those old huge amazing hats?? let's have a party where you have to dress up...oh dang I don't live there anymore hahah

The Mechams said...

Brit you are so funny, I too love old dresses, my mom actually wore and made dresses like that...she is that old. I will totally buy your creations so get on it. Tell nate we say hey.