Sunday, October 18, 2009

Oregon Coast 2009

The next week after we got back from Italy Nate had to train state employees on a new computer system in Astoria.  We stayed in this really nice hotel in Seaside, OR.  On Friday, while Nate was at work, I stayed in the hotel to finished up some photographs for a client.  Once Nate was finished, we were finally able to go to the beach.  It was beautiful and the weather was perfect.  We just relaxed there for awhile and did some wading.  

Saturday we got up and hit the beach again.  We got ice cream (which was a huge disappointment after gelato), found this amazing candy store with about every candy from your childhood.  We bought tons of saltwater taffy in flavors like raspberry lemonade, cinnamon roll, key lime pie, etc. and a bunch of Tootsie Roll brand Frooties (I was so excited... they're my favorite.  I used to go to Frank's in Moses (you're right Jaycie, I knew Bob's didn't sound quite right) and buy them for a penny each, but I can never seem to find them anymore.)  We had the most delicious fresh fish.  It was just the perfect weekend.

Before we left we drove down the coastal highway and went to Canon Beach (the stores and shops there are amazing... cute little boutiques and a dozen kite shops... I told Nate that the next time we go to the coast we definitely have to buy and fly a kite) and this less popular, but in my opinion prettier beach, where we ended up swimming.  

Freeze action fun.  How is it that it never gets old?


I'm thinking I should've been a gymnast.

Nate excited to be having to answer work emails while on the beach.

I love reflection photos.
Man, my legs are so white.

This is one of my favorite pictures of Nate ever.


It was so cold early Saturday morning.
There is nothing that Nate loves more than the ocean... except for me, of course.
Nate trying his hand at some freeze action jumping.
Getting some serious air.  Gotta love that face!

Saturday morning the clouds broke, the wind died down... so we went swimming.  It was so cold, but definitely worth it.  We have the most amazing luck whenever we go to the coast.  The weather is always beautiful.

And for you, Amy and Cara, these are just some pictures of the loot we ended up with from Italy.

Murano glass.  The guy who sold us the blue one was the sweetest guy.  He told us all about how you could distinguish Venetian glass from impostor glass.  Probably one of the nicest people that we met.

Some small watercolors.  Loved this artist.  He was adorable.


The cow purse.  The woman who sold me this purse was one of my other favorite people that we met in Italy.  And she was so kind to remind me multiple times that I'd better not use this purse until the summer because it's not a winter season purse.  She was so funny.
This leather purse is soooo soft.
The two glass rings, three glass necklaces and two scarves I bought.

5 comments:

Jaime said...

were you in seaside the weekend of the 9th? We were there for a girls weekend, if you were there I wish we had known, you could have joined us for a bit. Love all the pictures. You have such a talent at photography, it's nice to see you using it professionally.

The Singer Family said...

I love the pics of Nate in the air--he looks so high! Your Italy stuff is BEAUTIFUL! Good choices. I'm only mad that I didn't think to ask you guys to pick up a nativity for us...we have one from lots of other countries, no Italy though. I guess you'll have to go back! :)
Seriously though, you are such an amazing photographer--I wish I had the talent!

Chad and Jaycie said...

Was that Bob's or Frank's? :) Anyways, nice pics! And who knew you could do perfect 10 handstands!

Amy J said...

Ahem, where are the pictures of your new swimsuits??? Just sitting on your bed of course. ;)

Those vases are so beautiful! What fun purchases! I also love the pic of Nate jumping and was impressed w/ those handstands. :)

Rita said...

Oh, shoot! I didn't think about nativities until Cara mentioned it!!! Oh, well, I bet they were really expensive... Love the things you bought: love the paintings, love the glass pieces, love the yellow cow purse!!! Love your photographs!!!