Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cinque Terre

So Nate and I are both home sick from church.  Whatever this is that's going around it is nasty.  

From Firenze we took a day trip to Cinque Terre (pronounced Chinkway Terra), or the Five Lands.  We got up at 4:30 in the morning, walked to the train station and took a train up the Western side of Italy.


The train ride up was so picturesque.  Beautiful green mountains, miles and miles of vineyards.  I had planned on sleeping on the way, but just couldn't do it.

This is Nate enjoying the scenery from his seat on the train. (Nate wrote that.)

The cool alleyways in Riomaggiore.

Riomaggiore, the first village on the hike.

Me in Riomaggiore.  

Another view.  This was probably my favorite of the five villages.

The start of the hike.

This part of the trail was called the Via dell' Amore, the walk of love... or something like that and so carved into every plant and cactus on the way were the names of couples.

Some Italian guys fishing in the Mediterranean.

View from the tunnel there.

A cactus.

Manarola... I think.

Some cool magenta plant against the teal of the Mediterranean.

A view on the hike.

Nate sometime along the hike.

A rickety old bridge along the way.

Monterosso, the last and largest of the five villages.  Nate and I had our best lunch here at a little bakery.  We ate on one of these benches overlooking the sea.
We also hopped on the train to get here (skipping that part of the hike) because we had left our swimsuits in Florence and Nate was DYING to swim in the sea.  (Those of you who know Nate know that he loves swimming and never passes up the opportunity, regardless of how cold the water is.)  We finally found one shop that sold them.  Nate bought the most ill fitting shorts I've ever seen... I doubt he ever wears them again.  And I bought the only one-piece even close to my size.  Only until I put it on did I realize just how scandalous it was, although it was still more modest than a two-piece.

Still in Monteroso.

Again on the Via dell'Amore.  Couples place locks on the railings or anything accessable as a symbol of their love being bound together.  There are hundreds of locks along this path.

Nate finally swimming in the Mediterranean... notice the big grin.  None of me, due to the aforementioned swimwear issue.  I did swim, but decided against posting any pictures.  It was the saltiest water that I've ever swam in... I think I prefer fresh water.  Nate, he really didn't care.

Still stoked about swimming in the Mediterranean.

Man, I don't remember what city this was.  It was either Vernazza or Corniglia.


Me after a lot of hiking.

Before returning to Florence we ate dinner in Cinque Terre and it was the worst food we had on our whole trip.  Mine was so salty that it was seriously inedible.  One bite would have finished up your sodium intake for the day.  Nate and I shared his, which was a very small portion.  He was so sweet to share.

The trip back was very long and I was very tired from all the hiking that by the time we got to Florence's train station we decided to take a taxi to our hotel.  And just like every night in Italy, we slept like babies.

Up next: Venice (my favorite!)

3 comments:

Arrington's said...

Oh my gosh these pictures are amazing! Seriously right out of National Geographic or something. I am so jealous it looks like you guys had an awesome time...how romantic :)

Mike and Lisa said...

Now you've got us all curious what your swimsuits really looked like!?

Amy J said...

At least take a picture of the swimsuits sitting on your bed or something. We are dying with curiosity. ;)