Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Knight in Shining Armor

I just feel the need to let the world know how lucky I am to have such an amazing husband. And while I've known this all along, I was once again reminded this week that I might very well be THE luckiest girl.

At Eastern in the art dept, in your final year you're required to take a class called Senior Seminar, and in Senior Seminar you're required to attend an overnight camp-out at a local lake. Mind you this was Wednesday... and it was freezing.  I had frost on my pillow!

After we all sat around a campfire talking about art and politics, etc. we all headed off to bed.  I shared a little two-man tent with a girl in my class.  Because it was so cold and my feet were so frozen I couldn't sleep, but I tried really hard for Jessie's sake to keep quiet so at least she could maybe get some rest.  

So round about 3:00 in the morning I heard the tarp under our tent rustling... it stuck out on each side about 2 feet.  Now La Grande is a windy place, so at first I thought nothing of it, but then I noticed that the trees above us were still.  I sat up to get a better listen and Jessie whispered, "You heard that, too."  We continued to listen and heard grunts, licking, breathing, etc.  So I started FREAKING out.  We have bears and cougars in our area, including all sorts of other wildlife.  And I am terrified of bears and cougars (I am my mother's child and Jaycie's sister!)  So I seriously started hyperventilating.  I was waiting for the moment where the cougar (or whatever it was) was going to decide it was hungry and collapse in our tent; and I was imaging the chaos that would then ensue.  I knew I was going to die.

Then I debated whether to call Nate and finally after the animal walked around our tent for awhile I decided I should.  Better safe than sorry, right?  As quietly as possible, as to not draw attention to myself, I whispered, "Nate, come help me.  There is an animal outside our tent and I'm scared.  Bring the gun."

I have to admit that I have always been hesitant about having a gun.  I really hate them, but I now see a need for one.

About 10 minutes later we heard a car coming.  It usually takes about 20 minutes to get up there.  Seriously Nate was hauling it in order to have gotten there as fast as he did.  So Jessie looked out to see what it was just as Nate was pulling in with his brights on.  She couldn't tell what it was, but she said it was big.  I, on the other hand, was too scared to look.

Nate was so sweet about everything.  I knew I could call him and that he wouldn't hassle me if it turned out to be a squirrel.  We talked to everyone in camp and then Jessie and I decided to spend the rest of the night in her car.  And the next morning we found a pile of poop by our tent and the whole camp was trying to figure out what it could have been.  Nate and Jaycie both thought it was a bear because of my description of the poop.  

Either way it doesn't matter.  I'm just grateful to have a husband that wouldn't think twice about doing whatever he needed to do to calm down his hysterical wife.  He is my best friend.  I could spend every minute of every day with him and never tire of him.  He's so thoughtful and absolutely amazing.

So to thank him for his heroic efforts, I made him cheesecake (his favorite) the very next day.

A really cool alley way in La Grande that we found yesterday.

Of course I can never keep up.  Just yesterday he sacrificed his day off to help me find places to take senior pictures and even let me practice a bit before next Saturday.  I am so lucky. 

One of Nate's favorites from yesterday.

6 comments:

Jarred and Rachelle said...

Brittney...that story was AWESOME!! Nate is such a good guy. I am really happy you found each other. Oh and p.s. I love reading your BLOG. It brings entertainment to my sad pathetic school life. Love ya tons:)

Brittney said...

Holy bear crap!!! That's freaky.

Mike and Lisa said...

Wow great story. That would scare the crap out of me. At first when I was reading it I thought you were going to say it was your husband that was trying to scare you or something...but it really was a bear?! Glad nothing bad happened!

Carl Hancock said...

Way to pack heat Nate. I always take one of my handguns when I go camping.I never want to end up on "When Animals Attack." That would just be embarrassing.

The Singer Family said...

Bear poo? What a memory!!! Glad you are safe and that he came to your rescue--and I know how those Singer boys love sleep--glad he loves you more!!!!
Talk to you soon!

Rita said...

What a story! I loved reading it! To me, the worst part was how cold you were, not the scary bear! And Brittney, you are an awesome photographer! (And your model isn't bad, either!)