Friday, July 1, 2011

A Year Ago Yesterday...

I was snuggling with this little peanut in my hospital bed... and loving every minute.  I was so exhausted after 30 hours of labor (4 1/2 hours of pushing!) and yet I remember he was so perfect and beautiful and mine that I couldn't peel my eyes away from him long enough to get any rest.

The last year has been AMAZING!  Hard sometimes, yes, but amazing.  I've discovered what it's like to be a mother and could never go back.  I thought I knew what it would be like, but really had no idea.  I could've never understood just how much I could love someone before I even met them.  I could've never understood the sacrifices and the rewards of being a mother.  I've loved every minute!
So happy birthday, Ryan!  Mommy and Daddy love you and we look forward to watching you learn and grow!  You really do make everyday an adventure!

.    .     .


"On the night you were born,
the moon smiled with such wonder
that the stars peeked in to see you
and the night wind whispered,
"Life will never be the same."

"Because there had never been anyone like you...
ever in the world.

"Not once had there been such eyes,

such a nose,

such silly, wiggly, wonderful toes.

"For never before in story or rhyme
(not even once upon a time)
has the world ever known a you, my friend,
and it never will, not ever again...

"Heaven blew every trumpet 
and played every horn
on the wonderful, marvelous
night you were born."

-Excerpt from Nancy Tillman's "On the Night You Were Born"

At one year, Ryan:
    *weighs 23lbs 10oz (65%), is 29 1/2" tall (45%) and has a 48 1/2 cm head circumference (94%).
    *still loves shaking his head "no" to everything we say.
    *is obsessed with feet.
    *absolutely will not drink from a sippy cup.
    *is a master at making messes... the minute he notices I've put something away is the minute he makes his way over there to pull it out
    *is a good little crawler... finally.
    *says "mom," "dad," and the occassional "na."
    *wears his glasses like a champ and rarely takes them off.
    *sleeps 11 hours straight a night.
    *loves food.  He doesn't turn down anything and sometimes he eats more at a meal than I do!
    *loves, loves, loves his Daddy.  I told Nate last night after he rocked Ryan to sleep that he deserves the favorite status.
    *is happiest outside.
    *loves closing doors, often resulting in him crying because he then can't get out.
    *has 8 teeth.

6 comments:

Chad and Jaycie said...

We were going to call last nite but I kept waiting for all of us to be home together...never happened and then it got late and I forgot. So HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYAN!!! I cannot believe it has been a year! CRAZY! He just seems to get cuter by the day! :) Love you guys!

Jaime said...

Oh Brittney, he's such an adorably cute little boy. Happy Birthday Ryan! What a wonderful birthday tribute, and I love that poem that you included. Made me get all misty eyed.

Melissa said...

Can't believe he's a year already. Happy Birthday, Ryan! I like the poem and the picture montage. So fun to see his first year. What a cute boy!

Cassie Bumcrot said...

I love, love, love this post.

Katie said...

Happy Birthday, Ryan! And happy birthing day, Brittney! Your post made me tear up. I can't believe my little guy is approaching the one year mark. Can't we slow down time?!

Kevin and Eliza said...

What a cute little boy you have. I love his glasses. That is amazing that he keeps them on to me. It is crazy how fast the time goes with children, they grow up under our watch.