Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Addicted.


So I don't know what it is, but I have been crazy for apples this last month.  It used to be that I'd buy 4 of them at the store and then 2 would end up going mealy, so we'd use them in Nate's mom's Apple Dutch Babies recipe.  (For fun I'll share it below.  It's basically a German pancake with cinnamon apples and it is amazing.  Hands down my favorite breakfast recipe.)  But lately no matter how many we buy I eat them within a few days.  Yum, they are so good refridgerated.  Just ate my last one this morning...   Not sure if it's just a pregnancy craving or what, but it does feels good to support my home state.


Rita's Apple Dutch Babies
6 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
2 large apples (peeled and then thinly sliced)
4 eggs
1 cup flour 
1 cup milk

Heat oven to 425 degrees.

In a frying pan melt butter.  Stir in cinnamon and sugar.  Add apple slices and cook until apples are translucent, about 5 minutes.  Grease 9x9 inch pan (or whatever you have that is comparable... I use a 7x11 inch pan) and add cooked apples.  

In a blender or food processor, whirl eggs and flour until smooth.  Blend in milk slowly.  Pour batter over apples in pan.  Bake uncovered, until pancake is puffy and golden, about 15-18 minutes.  Cut into wedges and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Makes about 6 servings (but Nate and I usually eat it all.)  

I promise you will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

Jarom and Melissa said...

I've never made Dutch babies, but they're really good, so I'll have to try your recipe. Thanks for supporting Washington grown apples. Love it.